As the on-going pandemic has engulfed the entire world, many countries are taking their own precautionary measures to protect their citizens and residents. Having already endured two massive Covid-19 waves, the Canadian government is leaving no stone unturned to ensure any further outbreak doesn’t cause undue damage. As a result, stringent measures and regulations are being implemented to boost vaccinations around the country and limit the virus spread.
As mentioned in my previous article, despite the travel restrictions and on-going surge in Covid-19 cases, people around the globe, specially from India, are still striving hard to make a permanent move to Canada. The reasons are obvious; Ease of employment, thriving job market, high quality education, access to universal healthcare and more. In fact, with emerging Canada immigration consultants, getting approval to migrate, work, and settle down in Canada is not a herculean task anymore.
One of the most popular and sought-after routes to move to Canada is by availing required permission to work or carry out business operations in Canada. Whether you are a student from any designated learning institute, part-time or full-time worker, a businessman or a farmer, you can work in Canada provided you have a valid work permit visa. However, Canadian citizens or permanent residents do not require any work permit or visa to work in Canada. As the most trusted and efficient Canada work visa consultants in Hyderabad/Bangalore, Gateway Visas is available to provide you with end-to-end career solutions.
A work permit or visa will not only help you achieve your career goals in Canada and contribute to the Canadian economy, you can also settle permanently in Canada by applying for permanent residency or can even apply for dependent visas.
Eligibility for Canada Work Permit
According to latest IRCC updates, foreign nationals who are fully vaccinated can enter Canada as long as they qualify for fully vaccinated traveller exemption. Generally, the Canadian government supports two types of work permit: Open Work Permit and Employer Specific Work Permit. While each type has its own eligibility criteria, there are some general requirements you should meet regardless of the type of permit or location of application.
Given below are the general eligibility requirements:
- Assure the case officer that you will leave Canada once your work permit expires.
- Demonstrate appropriate amount of funds to take care of yourself and your dependents in Canada.
- Show proof of zero criminal record through a police clearance certificate, and vouch to forever obey Canadian law.
- Must not be a threat to Canada’s security.
- Should be healthy with no medical ailments, and even pass a medical exam if needed.
- Does not plan to work for a employer listed as ineligible or involved in unethical activities like striptease, erotic dance, escort services, erotic massages, or more.
- Be ready to provide any kind of documents asked to be submitted as proof for entering Canada.
As mentioned above, you need to provide the following documents for applying to Canada work permit visa:
- Valid travel document or a passport with validity extending beyond 6 months from planned date of travel.
- A couple of recent passport-sized photographs.
- Certificates of all educational qualifications.
- Evidence of professional qualifications including work experience.
- Proof of funds documents.
- Certificate of passed medical examination.
Types of work permits and their eligibility
As mentioned above, Canada supports two types of work permits: Employer specific and Open work permit.
An employer specific work permit can be availed if the candidate has valid job offer from an eligible employer in Canada. The employer must submit an offer of employment to IRCC, pay 230 CAD as compliance fees, and provide the candidate with an offer containing employment number.
Employer Specific Work Permit Eligibility
You are eligible for employer specific work permit for the following professions:
- A film or television production which can create and demonstrate adequate economic benefits for the citizens and permanent residents.
- Any academic profession like lecturer, professor, researcher, post-doctoral fellow, or others with majority of work in research or teaching.
- Coop placements or internship as a part of Canadian study program.
- Repairing or maintenance of industrial or commercial equipment; failure to which can disrupt employment in Canada.
- Professional athlete or coach for a local team in Canada.
- Cultural activist like dancer, singer, or actor for any non-profit arts company receiving federal funding.
- Religious worker providing religious instructions and promoting a faith.
- Any profession for a employer with a positive Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) which establishes your eligibility in the global talent stream.
- A camp counsellor involved in planning or organizing activities, supervising children, guiding for outdoor activities, and more.
- A research associate working temporarily for the International Development Research Centre of Canada or sponsored by Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd.
Open Work Permit Eligibility
Unlike the employer specific work permit requirements, you do not need to get a job offer from any specific employer in Canada. However, you need to fulfil certain conditions related to the type of work, place of work, and duration of work. Once you have fulfilled all the general eligibility requirements, you can apply for an open work permit as an international student, Express Entry applicant or dependents of temporary visa holders. Mentioned below are some types of open work permits and their eligibility criteria:
- Post Graduate Work Permit: An international student with a valid post graduate degree, diploma, or certificate from any designated learning institute in Canada can apply for post graduate work permit. Duration of the permit depends on the program length. For example, a 2-year masters degree can fetch you a PGWP of 3 years. However, you must maintain a full -time student status through your entire academic session and have a valid transcript with an official letter from your institute.
- Spouse Open Work Permit: Spouses or common law partners of temporary foreign workers and students in Canada are eligible for employment. Eligibility is based on the status of the primary applicant as given below:
1. International student enrolled in full time studies at a designated learning institute.
2. Foreign worker having a valid work permit for a period of at least 6 months.
3. International worker employed in a job based on skill level 0, A, or B of the national occupation classification (NOC).
4. Recently passed out graduate having a post graduate work permit.
- Bridge Open Work Permit: Foreign workers whose work permit is about to expire and whose PR application is in process can continue working in Canada. However, for the BOWP, you must meet the following requirements:
1. Already working in Canada for an eligible employer.
2. Have work permit which is about to expire in the next 4 months.
3. Received a positive assessment on permanent residence application.
With an increasing number of Canada work permit agents and visa consultants, optimizing the wealth of benefits offered by working in Canada is not a hard dream to achieve. Advantages like flexible working hours, vast number of employment opportunities, various work benefits like employee insurance, pension plans, workplace insurance, and other benefits makes Canada the most preferred destination for overseas career.
Nevertheless, ongoing pandemic and the subsequent risks posed to Canadian society has prompted the Canadian government to take stringent measures like banning direct flights to and from countries like India. As Omar Alghabra, Minister of Transport, Canada has tweeted: We have decided to extend the direct flight ban between India and Canada till September 21, 2021.
However, good news is you can enter Canada through a third country provided you have a Covid-19 molecular test done from that country. Also, Canada’s transport department is working closely with the Government of India and aviation operators to resume direct flights with appropriate procedures as soon as possible.
Looking forward for an overseas career amidst the restrictions. Contact Gateway visas now for consulting and end-to-end services.